Friday, December 26, 2014

For the Children

With being events manager I get to plan a lot of fun things and one of them was this years Christmas Charity.  I was super stoked to set it up as I had the perfect one.

Casa Hogar, is an orphanage for girls between the ages of 3 and 18.  They need everything from clothing, toys and school supplies.  We set up a box - decorated Christmas style - in the reception where everyone could leave their donations.

Two days before Christmas Sam, Kiki and Chantal - my two friend that are working here - and I took the donations to Casa Hogar.

It is  45 minute combie ride from the hostel.  A combie is the local transportation here.  Small cramped buses - some the size of a mini van some oversized tool vans - with no air conditioning, sometimes the windows dont open and you are lucky if you can get a seat.  Sometimes it is so packed thatyour feet barely touch the ground and their are too many hands holding on to the rails so you hope the shoulder to shoulder I timacy of strangers will keep you verticle. Other times you have to stand down on the step and hang out the door.

We were luckyd the combie wasnt full when we got on considering it was a smaller one and the roof barley reaches 5' 3" high - Im tall here.  However the more people that got on the more cramped it got, and the more cramped .it got the hotter it got, and the hotter it got the more my pores opened and I began to profusely sweat ....there were no windows.  I had slept in so didnt have time to shower before we left so I still had remnants of spilled beer and alcohol on me with a lingering musk of cigarette smoke, and I just kept sweating.  My feet were bei g stepped on, I had butts in my face, crotches and more people just kept getting on.  I felt so vyle, so I just put my head against the window - which wasnt even at a goodenough temperature to cool my face down - and counted down the minutes.  Honestly though it was so worth it, besides things like combies are a cultural experience so I take them in with a smile.

The girls are incredible.  They literally attached themselves to us immediately.  They didnt seem to care why we were there, they were just happy that we were there and they took advantage of our presence till the moment we left.

The design workof Casa Hogar is like a castle.  The  girls are told they are princes in a tower.  Their rooms are huge with lots of windows that let in the sunshine and fresh air and a view bei g the back drop of Chacchani and Misti.

Sam speaks no Spanish so I had to translate- no one their speaks English. It makes me smile that I have the ability to do that now plus I do t practice my  Spanish a lot because there is so much English here so I was more than happy to use my bad Spanish skills.  When I had trouble I popped out my mini dictionary which always helps plus Chantal was the only other one out of the four of us who has Spanish so between the both of us we got on fine.

Kiki looked at me with a look of sadness "they are so happy."  "Of course they are.  Here they are loved, are well taken care of and have eachother."  Sometimes I feel thats all we need.  Get rid of all our luxuries which we have come to feel are necessities and give us the basics in life...food, shelter, love and eachother.  I said the same thing when I volunteered at Casa Chapi....these kids just love you forno reason, its just because you are there and it makes you see that you dont need much to have happiness.

The girls were really touched when we left, a little emotional iternally.

We got on the (empty) combie and talked about our experience.  This experience made us realize we dont just want this to be a Christmas Charity "I think we should redecorate the box and have it as an on going charity," said Chantal.  "I agree." Said Kiki.
"Wow, im stoked you girls want to keep this going. Maybe ai can set it upso we can take the donations over every week."

Casa Hogar is our new charity.  The hostel manager said absolutely and we just have to make sure we can go every week.  I am so excited!  I really hope to get the girls what they need and to keep seeing those beautful smiles on their faces.

If you would like to donate please leave a comment or send me an email.

What you receive in return when giving is better than any gift you could ever get.


                                                                         -My Beautiful Life -





No comments:

Post a Comment