Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Fun Police

¨I hate you!¨ ¨This place is great, but you are evil!¨ ¨I really don´t want to speak to you today.¨ Sometimes it´s death stares or a middle finger.   These are all things I see and hear regularly from the guests at the hostel.  Why?  Well because they are always extremely hungover with an expensive tab.  Why is this my fault?  Well, I am events manager also known as, the Fun Police.  I am their favourite person during the parties and the most hated the next day when they are feeling lingering intoxication and the after affects of jagerbombs, happy hours and free shots.

Honestly!!!  It´s fantasitc!!!   I am in charge of promotions and making the parties/events happen.   They are the same events we have always had I just make sure they happen and that the guests are having fun.   I go from room to room with free shots, getting people to sign up for the nights fiestas or the next days outing.

It´s a lot of fun but extremely exhausting.   Happy, sad, sick, hungover I always have to have a smile on my face and be with guests.  They know my name and I know theirs...I know when they are doing a trek,  I know if they are sick and make sure they are feeling okay, I make sure to constantly be communating with them whether it´s to let them know whats going on or making them drink free shots while getting them dressed up in our theme of the night.  I don´t take no for an answer when it comes to participation in activities or drinking  ¨This is WILD Rover not MILD Rover!¨ Then I tell them they can claim their free skirts at reception when they check out. I torpedo them from the top floor with water balloons while they are sunbathing around the pool,  I wake them up in the morning and sign them up for things when I know they are hungover,  I wake them up with free shots during happy hour, I pour free shots on them while they are taking a shower....you can probably see why I am the most loved yet hated at the same time.  However they still do all these things because they know that I dont take no for an answer and that at some point in the night they will have no choice so they do what I say.

Like I said it is a lot of fun but extremely exhausting.  When I go to bed at night all I here are thousands of voices saying ¨Emmie!¨¨Emmie!¨ ¨Emmie!¨ I want to yell SHUT UP but know that wont do anything...I now understand why my mum used to tell me she was changing her name from Mommy to something else.  But, I love it, it has really changed my time here.   I am not wrapped up just with the staff in my own little world...I am having fun or more like making the fun with the guests who I have had the please of getting to know and it has been great.   It is a lot of work, and I only have one day off a week as I am a manager so on my days off I try and stay away from people as much as possible .... I love people but want my space and some solitude which usually ends up with me down at the bar drinking with them anyways.

Christmas is just a few days away and we have some big events planned....I can here them now ¨I hate you.¨ ¨You are the worst!¨ Oh, how much they love me.

                                                                                                - My Beautiful Life -

No comments:

Post a Comment